Knowing whether your child needs glasses is tough. They may not realize that they are having issues with their vision, I certainly didn't until a routine pediatrician exam showed that I had likely needed them for quite some time. Common signs that a kid has a vision problems that requires prescription glasses can include:
- Consistently sitting too close to the TV or holding a book too close
- Losing his or her place while reading
- Using a finger to follow along while reading
- Tilting the head to see better
- Frequent eye rubbing
- Sensitivity to light
- Excessive tearing
- Closing one eye to read, watch TV or see better
- Avoiding activities that require near vision, such as reading or homework, or distance vision, such as participating in sports or other recreational activities
- Complaining of headaches or tired eyes
- Receiving lower grades than usual
A combination of these can indicate an issue, which would be found earlier with routine annual trips to the optometrist. Then you can get them seeing better and have the help of a professional looking after their eyecare, which can be a huge part of preventative medical care as they not only check their vision but also for signs of other health issues that show symptoms through the various parts of their eyes.
Then, you can get them some amazing trendy glasses to ensure they wear them when they need them!